Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Abraham Lincoln Quotes Sayings & Quotations

ABRAHAM LINCOLN 16th President of the U.S.A. ( 1809-1865)

*And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

*Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. We here highly resolve that the dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

*If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. You may fool all of the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

*America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

*You may fool all the people some of the time, you can even fool some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all the time.

* Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive good in the world.

* Whatever you are, be a good one.

*All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother.

*Those who write clearly have readers, those who write obscurely have commentators.

* A house divided against itself cannot stand.

*To correct the evils, great and small, which spring from want of sympathy and from positive enmity among strangers, as nations or as individuals, is one of the highest functions of civilization.

*Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.

*In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free -- honorable alike in what we give and what we preserve.

*Do not worry; eat three square meals a day; say your prayers; be courteous to your creditors; keep your digestion good; exercise; go slow and easy. Maybe there are other things your special case requires to make you happy, but my friend, these I reckon will give you a good lift. -

*I pray that our heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

* Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way.

* I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.

*What is conservatism? It is not adherence to the old and tried, but against the new and untried?

*Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

*It is the eternal struggle between these two principles -- right and wrong. They are the two principles that have stood face to face from the beginning of time and will ever continue to struggle. It is the same spirit that says, ''You work and toil and earn bread, and I'll eat it.''

*Upon the subject of education, not presuming to dictate any plan or system respecting it, I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in. That everyone may receive at least a moderate education appears to be an objective of vital importance.

*Do not destroy that immortal emblem of humanity, the Declaration of Independence.

*I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.

*Having thus chosen our course, without guile and with pure purpose, let us renew our trust in God, and go forward without fear and with manly hearts.

*Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?

*Public opinion in this country is everything.

* If you wish to win a man over to your ideas, first make him your friend.

*Wanting to work is so rare a merit that it should be encouraged.

*Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

*Nothing valuable can be lost by taking time.

*Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. Let us have faith that right makes might and in that faith let us; to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.

* Let the people know the truth and the country is safe.

*The sense of obligation to continue is present in all of us. A duty to strive is the duty of us all. I felt a call to that duty.

*Beware of rashness, but with energy, and sleepless vigilance, go forward and give us victories.

*I am not concerned that you have fallen -- I am concerned that you arise.

*I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.

* Freedom is the last, best hope of earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment